- As an acquisitions editor, I learned about marketing books—about what sells and what doesn’t and about how to “package” a book, with the right title, cover, and presentation.
- As a line editor and a copy editor, I became expert at making prose sparkle and at organizing and fact-checking manuscripts, as well as at working with authors to bring out the best in them.
- As a production editor, I was involved in all the steps of actually making books, including typemarking manuscripts for design, managing art and captions, and overseeing copyediting, proofreading, and indexing.
- As an insider with a prominent literary agency, I am well placed to hear what editors at publishing houses are saying about the market at any given moment.
- As a published author myself, I experienced the editing and publishing process from an author’s perspective. I’ve been in your shoes too!
I know the entire process of bookmaking, from A to Z.
No matter the project, I hit the ground running.
I have been in the book business for more than twenty years, working on staff at publishing houses and, for the last twelve years, as an independent editor. My editorial services include:
- book analysis and constructive critiquing
- content and developmental editing
- book doctoring
- line editing
- proposal writing
- project management
- guidance in self-publishing
I also scout and serve as editorial director for the literary agency Joelle Delbourgo Associates.
My clients over the last few years have included Random House, Prentice Hall, The Child’s World, IndieReader, and Dorset Group, as well as numerous authors of both fiction and nonfiction books, many of whom went on to secure book deals with mainstream publishers and others of whom chose to self-publish. I am knowledgeable about the self-publishing process and can provide guidance to authors through a sometimes overwhelming but always exciting journey.
KEY POSITIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Acquisitions editor at Carol Publishing
- Production editor at Carol Publishing
- Editor at Navta Associates
- Senior editor at MidEast Report, a newsletter covering geopolitics and business
- Associate editor at McGraw-Hill daily newsletter covering the international oil industry (Platt’s Oilgram News)
- Public-school writing coach (volunteer)
I hold a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, and a bachelor’s degree in comparative literature from SUNY-Binghamton.
I am the author of two books: The Mexican War and Francisco Coronado.
Check them out, if you’re interested!